Home > VINTAGE BROOCHES, ANTIQUE PINS, DRESS CLIPS, SCARF RINGS, HAT PINS & BADGES > 1930s, 1940s and 1950s LOVELY LUCITE BROOCHES

Crinoline Lady Brooch 1940's/1950's Chunky reverse-carved Lucite Brooch

Figurative brooches are not as common as floral subjects in reverse carved Lucite. Probably about 10% of all  I have encountered in more than 30 years of collecting have a bird, butterfly or crinoline lady with the remaining 90% being floral brooches! This is a superb example of  figural reverse carved Lucite jewellery.  Dating from between the 1940's and 1950's this lovely brooch would have been hand-carved, intaglio style.   This particular example is of a crinoline lady.  She is dressed in a pale purple frock with matching picture hat. There is a large yellow flower to the centre and also some leaves either side of the lady too. In common with many antique and vintage items, it has a slightly faded colour to it, which in my opinion only adds to it's appeal. This pin is a great collectable for anyone interested in Bakelite era and early plastics .  Lucite was Dupont's trade name for their acrylic plastic material which they patented in the 1930's and is usually the name given to brooches and pins of this type.  The most common theme for them is flowers, some abstract and Art Deco in design, others very detailed - so you can tell exactly which flower is being depicted!  This is a good size being approximately 2 inches by 1.25 inches and almost a cm thick.  The shape is a rectangle but it is enhanced by a further cut on two of the long edges which makes for a pretty 'rainbow rim' reflection effect where some of the colours are reflected in the edges of the brooch.  It has a brass pin back with an open 'c' type fastener. This lovely item of vintage costume jewelry is 'see through' so takes on a different look depending on the colour of your outfit, on a blue background it is dramatic, on a white frock it is fresh and pretty!
 

£29.00
Crinoline Lady  Brooch  1940's/1950's Chunky reverse-carved Lucite Brooch
Crinoline Lady  Brooch  1940's/1950's Chunky reverse-carved Lucite Brooch Crinoline Lady  Brooch  1940's/1950's Chunky reverse-carved Lucite Brooch Crinoline Lady  Brooch  1940's/1950's Chunky reverse-carved Lucite Brooch Crinoline Lady  Brooch  1940's/1950's Chunky reverse-carved Lucite Brooch

Share This Page...


Customer Reviews
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other shoppers!